Sunday, November 27, 2011

So... small

Dear God, Please give me the strength I need to be a good mother, a good advocate and a strong voice in the world. I pray that I can change how people view those with disabilities. There are so many with such huge platforms that choose to degrade and belittle rather than choosing to encourage others to treat EVERYONE with respect. Please Lord, help me on this road you have laid out before me. There are times I feel too small to do much and there are times I feel to angry to be productive. I don't know why you chose this as my life but I am yours, Lord. Help me do you proud. Amen.

That was my Facebook status tonight and the prayer that I feel so strongly in my heart. After reading the review of George Clooney's new film "The Descendants" that was written by a wonderful friend who has a son with Down syndrome I have been D.O.W.N. down tonight. There is a scene that is utterly offensive and derogatory with use of the "r" word and where one character actually makes fun of people with disabilities saying something to the effect of "Speaking of the retarded," he says, "do you ever feel bad for wishing a retarded person or an old person or a disabled person would hurry up? Sometimes I wait for them to cross the street and I'm like, 'Come on already!' but then I feel bad."

WHY?

Again. A question I have no answer for. I will never have an answer.

I have pain though. And anger. And an overwhelming need to protect my children from the world I brought them into

When will it stop? How does someone like little old ME make a difference? I feel helpless and angry and so damn sad that I wonder if I'll be able to sleep tonight. I honestly believe that God has a purpose for my life. I want to do something good. I feel really small. So. Small.

And this problem is SO OVERWHELMINGLY HUGE!

I am having a regular, old pity party tonight. I am sorry. Those of you who actually read this blog deserve something better, brighter- but tonight I don't feel bright. I feel angry. Really angry. And totally useless.

I am going to go to bed and pray that God give me the strength to not pity to not feel small and help me find my path more clearly defined. And I am going to THANK Him for giving me Casey and Connor.

That's the true blessing here. If it weren't for my magical, miracle men I would still be living my life as the shallow, unaware, uncaring mess I was before. If C&C didn't have their bonus 21st's I would have no idea that there was so much beauty in the world- tainted by occasional ugliness. I want the best for my sons, for all children- with disabilities and without. I want EVERYONE to know the love that I feel for my sons and I want them to share that love. I want people to learn to raise up rather than knock down.

I don't want much.

Right?

Carrie Underwood's song So Small is my theme song tonight.

Yeah, Yeah
What you got if you ain't got love
the kind that you just want to give away
its okay to open up
go ahead and let the light shine through
I know it's hard on a rainy day
you want to shut the world out and just be left alone
but don't run out on your faith

'cause sometimes that mountain you've been climbing
is just a grain of sand
and what you've been up there searching for forever
is in your hands
when you figure out love is all that matters after all
it sure makes everything else seem so small

it's so easy to get lost inside
a problem that seems so big at the time
it's like a river thats so wide
it swallows you whole
while you siting 'round thinking 'bout what you can't change
and worrying about all the wrong things
time's flying by
moving so fast
you better make it count 'cause you cant get it back

sometimes that mountain you've been climbing
is just a grain of sand
and what you've been up there searching for forever
is in your hands
oh when you figure out love is all that matters after all
it sure makes everything else seem so small

sometimes that mountain you've been climbing
is just a grain of sand
and what you've been up there searching for forever
is in your hands
oh when you figure out love is all that matters after all
it sure makes everything else...
oh it sure makes everything else seem so small
Yeah, Yeah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so sad that the writers of the movie chose to be so utterly insensitive to such an innocent population. I will definitely be searching for some addresses to write people about this and boycotting that movie.
Just remember that you are not alone in this walk. There are lots of us out there. We just need to stick together. Thank you for putting yourselves and your precious boys out there to advocate. We would be glad to do anything we can to help stand up for our kids.
Lisa M.